Monday, 17 May 2010

Vinexpo – Hong Kong

I hope you have enjoyed my Blogs on the Languedoc as much as I have enjoyed writing them but I am going to start looking at the exotic and fascinating East for the next few weeks. Nick is off to Vinexpo, which is to be held in Hong Kong 25th - 27th May this year at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC),and I thought it would be interesting to write about the event, the wines, the culture and the food!

Vinexpo is an international wine and spirit exhibition that was created in 1981, by the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce and Industry. It has established itself over the years as the key event for major international operators in the wine and spirits sector.

It's held in Bordeaux every uneven-numbered year and has grown tremendously. In 1981 there were 524 exhibitors (including 96 from outside France) from 21 countries and 11,000 professional visitors from 50 countries but in 2009: there were 2,400 exhibitors from 48 countries, 46,621 professional visitors from 135 countries and 1,367 journalists and writers!

It's a great showcase for products from all over the world, visited by buyers from every corner of the globe, and is a place for exchange and debate.

2 comments:

tasteofbeirut said...

so are you going to be in Hong Kong for the exhibit?

Sue said...

No - I am holding the fort back here!!! I usually go to the one in Bordeaux though but this year I am tied up. We are going to go together in teh future once Nick has got the low down on how Hong Kong works though!

I have been to Singapore and Malaysia and am keen to see how the cuisine differs/is similar in HK. My lasting memory of Singapore is the stinky Durian fruit and the delicious Tom Yung soup!