Friday, 16 April 2010

Muscat Recipes – Partridge

Muscat goes very well with game birds and you can use it in the recipes as well as an accompaniment to the dish.

I have simplified a French recipe for partridge which uses muscat grapes as a stuffing for partridge. As getting your hands on Muscat grapes is rather difficult here in the UK you can use grapes or sultanas soaked in Muscat over night instead.

Partridge with Muscat

4 partridges
8 slices of smoked bacon
1 bunch of grapes Muscat (see note above)
mushrooms
8 small potatoes
2 cloves garlic
2 shallots
1 onion
1 truffle (optional)
5 cl Cognac
15 cl Muscat
salt , pepper and thyme

Cut the partridges in half, remove the bones, stuff with grapes, salt, pepper and a sprig of thyme and tie the bird with 2 or 3 slices of smoked bacon. Melt 50g butter, brown birds on both sides, pour in the brandy and flambé with the Cognac. Add the sliced shallots and onion then remove from heat. Sauté the mushrooms. Cut the potatoes into slices and put in a pan with the rest of the grapes and mushrooms. Add the Muscat and the garlic. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. To serve sprinkle with a few pieces of truffle.

6 comments:

lostpastremembered said...

Sue, we get muscats from time to time but I like the soaking idea very much... a great recipe. Which wine do you recommend to make this with? You have done such an exhaustive study of them... which is your favorite for cooking???

tasteofbeirut said...

I have only had partridges in France; this post brought back some food memories, great recipe, thanks!

Sue said...

Deana - I tend to use what I can with the recipes and that is dependent on what we bring back from France! Sometimes I swap Muscat for Sauternes. Sauternes is gorgeous but the flavours vary depending on the chateau and the vintage. Nick sells St Helene at the wine shop and it has unbelieveable flavours of orange blossom!

My fave Muscat is Muscat de Saint Jean de Minervois!

Sue said...

Joumana - thanks! We are lucky enough to have partridges in the fields around us here but we tend to eat more pheasant (the garden is full of them!)

Ali said...

Your blog is very good and informative. However, the link from Nick's blog says it's about "wine for women" talking about "shopping and fashion". It's to me a very good wine blog about wine and food and it's being sold as just for women. I didn't want to click on it because the link made it sound lame for me, someone interested in reading about wine and food.

Sue said...

Thanks Ali!

I appreciate your comments and I can understand where you are coming from.

I try and cover all sorts of topics in my Blog and tend to write on themes - this last one being all about the Languedoc (I am about to have a look at Hong Kong and China as Nick is off to Vinexpo shortly). I do write about fashion occasionally if it has a connection to wine that is interesting and all sorts of other topics (check out my Labels section). However I try my best to be as informative and as interesting as I possibly can.

Both Nick (who is a wine merchant with 30 yrs of experience behind him) and I have a background in catering so food and wine pairing is my favourite topic. I do know my wines and I really enjoy tracking down little known grape varieties (something that Nick and I both share) and appellations.

I noticed you are in Bordeaux studying wine - I hope you are enjoying it! Did you get a chance to attend the En Primeurs?