The Sainte Croix Quarter is dominated by the spire of the Romanesque Saint Croix Church (Church of the Holy Cross) and only became part of the fortified city in the early 14th century. The church lies on the site of a 7th century Abbey destroyed by the Saracens. Rebuilt under the Carolingians, it was again destroyed by the Normans in 845 and 864. It is annexed to a Benedictine abbey founded in the 7th century, and was built in the late 11th-early 12th centuries.
Sainte-Croix was the seat of the Parish from 1130. Although the church choir was reserved for Benedictines, the transept was for the locals. The principal altar was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and it was a pilgrim site for Notre-Dame-des-Marins with illustrations showing scenes of lost ships being saved.