Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Forget-me-Nots

There is a romantic legend about how the Forget-me-Not came to be named. A knight and his lady were walking along the banks of the river Danube when the lady saw a pretty blue flower floating on the water and exclaimed that she was sad that it would be swept away. The knight leapt into the water to get it for her but was dragged down by the current. As he was drowning, he threw his lady the flower and cried, “Forget me not!”

Forever after the lady wound the flowers in her hair to remember him by. It’s said if you plant forget-me-nots on the grave of someone you love, the plants will never die as long as you live. Forget-me-nots are unusual because you can see both blue and pink flowers on the same stem. Some people think that blue is for boys and pink is for girls. So these little flowers symbolise true love and remembrance.

No comments: