Tuesday, 3 June 2008

Oz Clarke Blames Bridget Jones for Chardonnay's Demise

Oz Clarke has blamed Bridget Jones (played by Renee Zellweger) for knocking sales of Chardonnay - according to The Independent, Clarke, who starred in TV series Oz And James's Big Wine Adventure with Top Gear presenter James May, said:

"Chardonnay has made some of the world's greatest wines. Everyone appreciated it - until Bridget Jones.

"Bridget Jones goes out on the pull, fails, goes back to her miserable bedsit, sits down, pours herself an enormous glass of Chardonnay, sits there with mascara running down her cheeks saying, 'Dear diary, I've failed again, I've poured an enormous glass of Chardonnay and I'm going to put my head in the oven.' Great marketing aid.

"Until Bridget Jones, Chardonnay was really sexy. After, people said, 'God, not in my bar'."

Fellow wine expert Christopher Piper accused Clarke of being behind the times, saying the white wine was "no longer uncool to drink". Actually I agree with Piper. To my mind it was the over oaked version of the ABCs (Anything But Chardonnay) that put so many people off. Besides I am very partialled to Bridget Jones!

Images Courtesy of www.flickr.com

No comments: