Thursday, 10 April 2008

Mellow Muscadelle

The Muscadelle grape is one of the 3 authorised grapes used in the making of White Bordeaux – the others being Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon. It's a yellow gold coloured grape which is used for its perfumes of acacia blossom, flowers, raisins and its honied sweet flavour. As it matures quickly it is susceptible to Noble Rot (Botrytis) and is used to make the great sweet dessert wines of the Sauternes and Barsac. It is also used to make Australian Tokay.

Muscadelle has a fresh fruitiness to its taste and has a concentrated essence of grape in its bouquet. It can have a musky aroma to it but don't confuse it with the Muscat grape as Muscadelle is more subtle.

Images Courtesyof www.flickr.com

1 comment:

Blue said...

Hi Sue!

I'm not a really a 'white' wine girl, but do have my fav.s
Enjoyed this post,Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon any day over Chardennay.
My preference Chenin Blanc and the Italian... err - memory fade here, can't spell it but Pinot Grigio!!

Roll on Summer I say so I can enjoy them in my garden.

Love
Blue