Thursday, 20 December 2007

Waiter Is That Gold In My Wine?

Preferably gold should be in rings on my fingers not in my wine glass but astonishingly there is a wine that has 24-karat flakes of gold floating about in it. Hundred Acre Gold is an odd blend of Voignier, Chardonnay and Gewurztraminer – grapes I am not too sure were ever meant to go together. What's more is that although the wine is bottled in Napa the grapes are grown in the Barossa Valley in Australia and are shipped to the USA frozen at 25°. Is this wine having an identity crisis? It sounds more like a mid life crisis to me!

Apparently adding gold to your drink was thought to restore health and bring wealth in ancient civilisations like Egypt. In Medieval times gold flakes or coins were added to drinks as the belief that something that rare and beautiful could not be anything but healthy. Even some modern forms of alternative medicine assign metallic gold a healing power.

It's not only wine that has gone Midas mad - Vodka has got into the act as well - Gold Flakes Supreme Vodka is the ideal bling drink with guess what? 24-karat gold flakes. The vodka is quadruple distilled and uses underground spring water. Then there is Goldschlager - a cinnamon schnapps with added gold flakes. There is even a Sake called Kinpaku-iri that is infused with gold.

Well, I think the world has gone gimmick mad and the thought of picking gold flake out of my drinks does nothing for me whatsoever!

Images Courtesy of www.flickr.com

No comments: